City Clerk

Historically, the City Clerk has played a dual role as the Clerk of the City Council and the Clerk of the City of Tahlequah. 

For the City Council, the Clerk attests to all laws and ordinances enacted by the City Council and is also responsible for keeping the minutes of the proceedings of the City Council.

As the City Clerk, the Clerk attests to leases and deeds of the City property, grants, agreements, bonds, tax notes, and other forms of obligations of the City. The City Clerk has charge of all papers and documents of the City that include executive and administrative orders of the Mayor.

The City Clerk is also the custodian of the Seal of the City of Tahlequah. 

Whitney Shaw was appointed City Clerk by the City Council in early June 2022.

Open Records Request 

To ensure and facilitate the public’s right of access to and review of government records so they may efficiently and intelligently exercise their inherent political power, Whitney Shaw provides access to City records through the Oklahoma Open Records Act. 

To submit a Open Records request, submit an Open Records Request form.  

Agenda Request

To request an agenda, please fill out the online form.

Request a Proclamation 

Proclamations are ceremonial documents issued at the discretion of the Mayor. They provide an opportunity for the Mayor to recognize exceptional events, organizations, and people and to increase public awareness of issues having community-wide significance to the City of Tahlequah. 

Proclamations are issued for:

  • Public awareness
  • Charitable fundraising campaigns
  • Arts and cultural celebrations
  • Special honors

Proclamations will not be issued for:

  • Matters involving political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual conviction
  • Events or organizations with no direct relationship to the City of Tahlequah
  • Campaigns or events contrary to City policies 


  • The Mayor’s Office reserves the right to modify or deny a proclamation request
  • More than once cause can be proclaimed simultaneously 
  • An organization does not have exclusive rights to the day, week or month of their proclamation
  • Proclamations are not typically issued for individuals. Depending on the occasion or event, either a Certificate of Recognition or a Congratulatory letter may be provided  

Who can make a proclamation request?

  • The request must be made by a City of Tahlequah resident or other person affiliated with a Tahlequah business or organization

How should a proclamation request be made?

  • Requests can be emailed or called into the Mayor's office.   If emailed,  please call to verify receipt by our office.  - 918-456-0651.
    • You can email your proclamation request to the Mayor's Assistant at
  • Requests should be made at least 10 business days in advance of the date the document is needed. Please include:
    • Contact person’s first and last name, address, and telephone number
    • A brief summary and/or background of the event or organization
    • The name and date(s) of the day, week, month or event to be proclaimed
    • A date when the proclamation is needed